I found the terminology of primary and secondary to be a bit confusing in
describing operation after a failure scenario. Perhaps it is helpful to
think that the Hadoop instance is guided to select a node as primary for
normal operation. If that node fails, then the backup becomes the new
primary. In analyzing traffic it appears that the restored node does not
become primary again until the whole instance restarts. I myself would
welcome clarification on this observed behavior.

*.......*

*“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in apretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside
in a cloud of smoke,thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter ThompsonDaemeon C.M. ReiydelleUSA
(+1) 415.501.0198London (+44) (0) 20 8144 9872*