On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 12:33 AM, Chris Nauroth <cnaur...@hortonworks.com>
wrote:

> Hello Rab,
>
> There is actually quite a lot of logic in the "hadoop jar" shell scripts
> to set up the classpath (including Hadoop configuration file locations) and
> set up extra arguments (like heap sizes and log file locations).  It is
> possible to replicate it with a straight java call, but it might not be
> worth the effort, and end users of your jar would lose functionality
> implemented in the shell scripts, such as configuration file location
> overrides.
>
> If you still want to pursue this, then you might want to make a small
> change to the "hadoop jar" script and add a line right before the java call
> to echo the command it's running.  That will give you a sense for the java
> command that ultimately gets run.  You could also take a look at the
> process table for a running "hadoop jar" process and inspect its command
> line and environment variables.
>
> Another potentially helpful tool  is the "hadoop classpath" command:
>

> http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.6.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/CommandsManual.html#classpath
>
> This uses the full logic of the shell scripts for classpath construction,
> but then just echoes it instead of using it to run a jar.
>
> Chris Nauroth
> Hortonworks
> http://hortonworks.com/
>

> Hello,

Thanks for your response. I had a feeling that if a web application needs
to process a request from the client and subsequently span MR jobs, it
would not span command line process using 'hadoop' command and there would
be a way to instantiate a hadoop driver class that contains Mapper and
reducer. In this setup, I expected there would be a place where all the
hadoop related configuration / jars would be placed so that they are
available for hadoop job. Hence, asked this question. I thought it is
straightforward and many people would have attempted it and hence getting
help in the form of documentation and blog would not be problem. I spent
two days in this but still could not find a way to do this.
'
regards
rab