Hello,

  hdfs dfs -ls /home/cluster
to check the content inside.
But I get error
    ls: *No FileSystem for scheme: hdfs  --> *that means, you don't have
hdfs rpm installed at your client machine..

For answer of you question:-
./hdfs dfs -mkdir hdfs://master:9000/directory

That *directory *will be under / in your hdfs. All data would be stored in
data node; but namenode will have the meta data information. For more
details; you have to read hdfs
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.2.1/hdfs_design.html.