ok, how we can easily put all hadoop computer names and IPs to /etc/hosts
on all computers?
Do you have a script? or I need manually go to each computer, get its ip
and put it to /etc/hosts and then distribute /etc/hosts to all machines?

Don't you think one time effort to configure freedns is easier?
freedns solution works with AWS spot-instances as well.

You need to create snapshot after you configure freedns, hadoop, etc on
particular box.
Next time you need computer you can can go to your saved snapshots and
create spot-instance from it.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 6:54 PM, max scalf <oracle.bl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> unfortunately without DNS you have to rely on /etc/hosts, so put in entry
> for all your nodes(nn,snn,dn1,dn2 etc..) on all nodes(/etc/hosts file) and
> i have that tested for hortonworks(using ambari) and cloudera manager and i
> am certainly sure it will work for MapR
>
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 8:47 PM, Alexander Pivovarov <apivova...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> what about DNS?
>> if you have 2 computers (nn and dn) how nn knows dn ip?
>>
>> The script puts only this computer ip to /etc/hosts
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 6:39 PM, max scalf <oracle.bl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Here is a easy way to go about assigning static name to your ec2
>>> instance.  When you get the launch an EC2-instance from aws console when
>>> you get to the point of selecting VPC, ip address screen there is a screen
>>> that says "USER DATA"...put the below in with appropriate host name(change
>>> CHANGE_HOST_NAME_HERE to whatever you want) and that should be able to get
>>> you static name.
>>>
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>>
>>> HOSTNAME_TAG=CHANGE_HOST_NAME_HERE
>>> cat > /etc/sysconfig/network << EOF