I would also suggest to take a look at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-6994. I have been using libhdfs3
for POC in past few months, and highly recommend it.  the only drawback is
the libhdfs3 has not been formed committed into hadoop/hdfs yet.

if you only like to play with hdfs, using the existing libhdfs lib is fine.
but if you are looking for some serious development, libhdfs3 has a lot of
advantage.