One of the threads suggested using the core-site.xml. Did you try putting
your configuration in there?

One thing I've noticed is that the AWS stuff is handled by an underlying
library (I think jets3t in < 2.6 versions, forget what in 2.6+) and when I
was trying to mess with stuff and spelunking through the hadoop code, I
kept running into blocks with that library.

William Watson
Software Engineer
(904) 705-7056 PCS