Sandeep,

Can you please share more information on which hadoop version you are using
and also size of the cluster in terms of fsimage size or file/block count.
Also what is the threshold set for rpc latency?

There is very less probability that standbyNN getting rpc latency unless
there is a checkpointing is in progress. Checkpointing is done by standbyNN
and acquires FSNameSystem write lock during the process. Hence other NN
operations (from DN) like Heartbeat processing or incremental block report
or full block report will get blocked during this time. This might be the
case you face in your cluster.

If fsImage is bigger enough (in the order of few GB's), then checkpointing
might take more than a minute. If you are using Hadoop 2.6.0, you might be
encountering this situation. This got fixed in hadoop-2.7.0
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-7097>.

Thanks,
Chackra

Thanks,