Hi Max,

the cluster isn't running inside a VPC. It's a web crawl which is then
published as public data set at s3://commoncrawl/. No need for VPC, since
all the data is open.

But thanks for the pointer, a VPC and a S3 endpoint could be an option
for the future.

> Any new policies put in place for your S3 bucket
> as others have mentioned something about throttling ?

No, the policies are unchanged since several months,
long time before the problems appeared. And no throttling
is configured for that bucket.

The only "throttling" I've observed the last week, is
that there is a low bandwidth (120kbit/s) between nodes
for about 20 sec. Looks like that only on a higher demand the
bandwidth is increased:
  https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=237530
Hope to get an answer from AWS for this phenomenon.

Whether this does also apply to the connection between
cluster nodes and S3 front servers, I don't know.
Could be related, of course.

Thanks,
Sebastian