Hi Doris!

I'm not sure what the difference between lab / production use is. All
configuration affects some behavior of the Hadoop system. Usually the
defaults are good for small clusters. For larger clusters, it becomes
worthwhile to tune the configuration.

1. dfs.namenode.heartbeat.recheck-interval : This is more a function of how
busy your datanodes are (sometimes they are too busy to heartbeat) and how
robust is your network (dropping heartbeat packets). It doesn't really take
too long to *check* the last heartbeat time of datanodes, but its a lot of
work to order re-replications, so I would err on the side of keeping it
long.
2. The clients gets an *ordered* list of datanodes from the namenode. It
has its own timeouts and mechanism for finding which one it wants to get /
send data from / to. Are live datanodes becoming stale too often in your
cluster? What's your concern?

Usually if your cluster is large enough, you *want* to spend time tuning
it. And that usually means, you will have to spend lots of time analyzing
the workload, finding the bottlenecks / wasted work and seeing what
configurations can help you remove that.

HTH
Ravi