Hi Tarik!

The lease is owned by a client. If you launch 2 client programs, they will
be viewed as separate (even though the user is same). Are you sure you
closed the file when you first wrote it? Did the client program which wrote
the file, exit cleanly? In any case, after the namenode lease hard timeout
<https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/trunk/hadoop-hdfs-project/hadoop-hdfs/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/server/namenode/LeaseManager.java#L82>,
the lease will be recovered, and you ought to be able to append to it. Is
that not what you are seeing?

HTH
Ravi