Hi Greenhorn,

Actually is the latter. When specifying the percentage, it means the upper
bound of the percentage of the resource this queue can gather from its
immediate parent queue. For example the queue hierarchy like below,

root
/  \
      a    b
     / \
   a1 a2

If we set max-cap of a1 to 100% it means a1 can at most gets 100% of the
resource from its immediate parent a, not from root.

More importantly, there are many factors to be used to limit/ control how many
resources a queue can get inside a cluster, like guaranteed resource,
user-limit, node labels, etc. Sometimes applications in a queue can get more
resource beyond its guaranteed resource when the cluster has idle resource
available to support elasticity. But max-cap is always a hard limit for at most
how many resources a queue can get.

So there are no default values for any queue with max-cap, we need this
parameter to set this hard-limit.

Hope this helps.
Thanks

On May 21, 2018, at 2:51 PM, Greenhorn Techie