Hi Kevin,

It is possible to have multiple Namenodes in a HA setup. One Active Namenode
and  multiple Standby Namenodes.
The Active Namenodes serves all the requests.
In case of failure of Active Namenode, one of the standby takes up its place
and acts as Active to serve the requests there after. At any time there would
be only one Active Namenode in a cluster.

You can give a check here to know about HA:

https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r3.2.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/HDFSHighAvailabilityWithQJM.html

If you intend to have multiple namenodes that can serve requests together in
similar manor, that isn’t possible,
But in Trunk code, we have Observer Namenodes that can serve the Read Requests
but not the write Requests. The Write Request can be handled only by Active
Namenode.

You can check stuff regarding Observer Namenode here:

-Ayush