> You need to explicitly flush your buffer by either calling flushCommits() or
> close().... this seems normal and logical to me.

Yup you are right.. Pardon my gaffe about finalize.. I was thinking in C++..
But I think a line about closing the table in the Javadoc might help..

I borrowed the code from

http://hbase.apache.org/docs/r0.20.4/api/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/package-summary.html

And the sample code does not close the table.

> Yes, but this seems like a strange use case.  You want to put to a row,
> delete on that row, and then put to the samerow,
> all without flushing to HBase?  It seems to me that if your application does
> this from a single client, then this logic can > be dealt with in the
> application rather than issuing a series of interleaved puts and deletes to
> HBase.

Is this really a strange use case? I am confused as to why Deletes and Puts
should be handled differently in terms of buffering.. Aren't they both write
operations?