> Is a security feature available that I am not aware of? if
> not? what is the point to create a database that can be
> edited/deleted by anonymous users?

That's kind of a loaded question but I'll bite.

Single tenancy is common in systems of this type, which are meant for
deployment into back end systems and underpin some customer facing application,
but do not directly serve access to arbitrary users. Hadoop in general has at
best a weak notion of user separation. Until Yahoo released a variant of 0.20
that uses Kerberos for strong autentication it was trivial to masquerade as any
user, completely bypassing UGI permissions in HDFS. There are some remaining
problems but secure Hadoop (secure HDFS) does provide some data isolation.

We have a patched version of HBase that can run on top of secure Hadoop. You
immediately get the benefit of HDFS data isolation -- other system users cannot
access _your_ HBase data in HDFS. And they cannot authenticate as you so cannot
connect to _your_ HBase cluster if you configure it as such.

However, in fact HBase as a project does want to support a fine grained
permissions model such that you'd expect coming from Postgres or MySQL or
Oracle, multitenancy intrinsic to the database. See HBASE-1697, HBASE-3025, and
HBASE-3045, as issues to watch over the coming few months.

Best regards,

    - Andy