Jeremy,

Have you given any thought to trying out the latest 0.89 release?

The Stargate package has been moved into org.apache.hadoop.hbase.rest but
otherwise it is the same.

If this is a concurrency problem with the HBase client library it would be
better to try and deal with it on what is currently under development, if you
do not have a specific requirement to use 0.20.x.

Best regards,

    - Andy