I checked the "browse filesystem" link in the web interface (50070). HBase
creates a directly named after the table ,and in the directory, there are
files which are 5-6 MB in size, on average. Some are in kbs, and there are
some of 12-13 MB size, but most are around  6 MB. I was thinking these files
are stored in 64 MB blocks, leading to the space usage.

hari