I would recommend staying away from /etc/hosts and using DNS if at all
possible.
Then you can set up your machine names, aliases and reverse look up files in
one place.
If the IP Address changes, it doesn't matter since you can either use the
hostname in DNS or the alias.

Since IP address changes are infrequent, I'd recommend using just the hostnames
and then save CNAME (aliasing) for the NN or JT.

With respect to your problem... What does your network look like and how did
the IP address change?
There could be routing issues between boxes?
Can you ping the other machines by IP addresses?
What's your netmask? (255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0)

And since you're using /etc/hosts you need to make sure you've correctly
changed all of the IP addresses and that you're also using only one nic card.

HTH

-Mike