I would say "yes", conditionally.

But indeed you have to use add_table.rb to add the copied over regions to the
META region of the target cluster.

And of course if you copy over table data as HFiles you have to at least
disable the table on the source cluster or shut it down before the copy, so to
be sure all pending writes are flushed from memstore to disk and that splits
and compactions do not run while you are copying. Splits/compactions change
hfile layout on disk. You must freeze the table so your copy is consistent
(source data remains unchanged start to finish).

Best regards,

    - Andy