Have a read here:

http://outerthought.org/blog/417-ot.html

Especially: "One interesting option that is missing is the ability to
retrieve the latest version less than or equal to a given timestamp,
thus giving the 'latest' state of the record at a certain point in
time. Update: this is (obviously) possible: just use a range from 0 to
the desired timestamp and set the max versions to 1 (thanks
Jonathan)."

Adding a time range to the Shell is trivial, currently it only
implements a fixed TIMESTAMP though. You could also use a Scan call
from the shell as that has a MINTIMESTAMP and MAXTIMESTAMP option.
That is for 0.20.x, apparently "someone" forgot to port this to 0.89?

Lars