I Think i found the answer. It appears this AMI was bundled with 3GB but
there is no compelling reason to do so.
I can recreate an AMI from the c1.xlarge AMI bundling it with e.g. 5GB. That
should cover my needs.
I honestly don't mind 5 minute start up times - coffee and a cigarette - or
is there something more to it than just longer start up times?

Cheers and thanks

Joy