Right now you can't get 0.90 from CDH3. It is an 0.89-<mumble>. It will not be
a better choice than 0.90 once 0.90 is released.

We are looking at deploying CDH3B3 plus a custom RPM built in house that
updates the CDH3B3 HBase package to 0.90.

I'm not sure we forgo support for our ops team just because we do that. I can't
comment as an authority on Cloudera's business of course since I do not work
from them, but as a customer I expect by the letter of the contract we cannot
(and would not anyway) ask for support for HBase if using a custom version, but
e.g. any HDFS related trouble is independent and we would be very unhappy if
told otherwise.

Best regards,

    - Andy