On 23.11.2010 22:14, S Ahmed wrote:
Hi,

How much of a guru do you have to be to keep say 5-10 servers humming?

I'm a 1-man shop, and I dream of developing a web application, and scaling
will be a core part of the application.

Is it feasable for a 1-man operation to manage a 5-10 server hbase cluster?
Is it something that requires hand holding and constant monitoring or it
tends to be hands off?

I'm not sure what kind of managing you mean, but for doing admin work on hadoop/hbase machines I use Cluster SSH (cssh) which allows you to log on multiple machines at once, and execute commands. For cluster up to 20 machines I think it's quite ok.

--
Wojciech Langiewicz