> We can give it a try. Currently we use 512 MiB per region, is there any
> upper bound for this value which is not recommended to cross?

Like I said in my first email, we recommend 1GB.

> Are there any
> side-effects we may expect when we set this value to say 1 GiB?

HBase may be faster overtime since less splitting occurs. Splitting is
good because it basically shards the data, but you don't want that to
happen too often past a certain point. Some people even prefer to
pre-split their tables and then disable splitting since it's known to
have a few deficiencies... but that's not optimal either. Recently I
worked on HBASE-3308 to speed up one part of the splitting process.

> I suppose at
> least a bit longer random gets?

I see no reason why it would do that.

J-D