Hello,

in one old thread regarding hadoop/hbase 0.19.x Andrew Purtell wrote, that running DFS balancer while HBase is running, is not recommended. I didn't find any remarks about this in Hadoop or HBase documentation.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hbase-user/200905.mbox/%3c812604.43615...@web65510.mail.ac4.yahoo.com%3e

Is it still the case? What bad things can happen?

It is quite clear, that with writing heavily to HBase and running balancer simultaneously, the cluster is not going to be balanced. It can become even more unbalanced. What about running balancer when we are only reading from HBase or writing small amounts of records?

Regards,
Martin Fiala