There are other virtualizing environments that offer better perf/$,
such as softlayer, rackspace cloud, and more.

EC2 is popular... and hence oversubscribed.  People complain about IO
perf, and while it's not as bad as some people claim, you have to be
aware that EC2 isnt some magical land where things work great, there
are lots of gotchas, slower machines, cluster, etc. Running a high
performance database on low performance systems will end up with a low
performance database, you might want to check those expectations at
the door.

Good luck!
-ryan