Take a look at OpenTSDB.

I think you will be impressed with the speed.

Regarding the exponential explosion.  Yes.  That is a risk in theory.  But
what happens in practice is that you only create the alternative forms of
the file where the simpler key forms are unacceptable due to volume of data.
 With OpenTSDB, the speed without any of these special versions of the data
file is quite impressive even with pretty large data.