To bring it back to the original point and a high level view, the fact
is that HBase is not Oracle, nor MySQL.  It doesnt have multiple
decades, and futhermore distributed systems are inherently more
difficult (more failure cases) than single node DBs.  Having said
that, the grass is certainly not greener on the other side.  I hear
horror stories about every other nosqly technology out there. Without
naming names, the bottom line is all new technologies need more care
and feeding than your 30 year database server (with a 30 year old
architecture to match btw).  I know for a fact that multiple sites run
huge HBase clusters without employing committers, so that fact lets me
sleep at night.

Bugs get fixed, progress moves on.  HBase is in a great place where
every new release is better and offers something more than the
previous, so I must urge everyone to upgrade.  The .89 to 0.90 is a
fairly trivial upgrade as well and rollbackable.

Thanks for persistence.