On Jun 6, 2011, at 12:36 PM, Stack wrote:

> In particular, the "...which will take who knows how long
> and require additional tools and may not work on your preferred
> development platform" bit.  Michael Noll has written up a nicely
> detailed instruction on how to build the append branch.  Its cited up
> front in our doc.  Is it not helpful?  I'd think that readers would
> give this posting more credence than a "Building sucks" comment made
> by our Ryan, HBase's (proud!) Statler and Waldorf combined [1].

I agree that Michael's instructions look a lot friendlier.  It's been a while
since I looked at this part of the book and it is much less daunting now.

> HBase will work with the next Hadoop release, 0.22.0, when it comes
> out [2].  The current state of things is temporary (I believe).  Sorry
> for the inconvenience.

Good to know.  I had somehow gotten the idea that there was a compatibility
issue with 0.22 that might not get resolved, but I must have been confused.  Or
maybe there was a question about whether Hadoop 0.22 would stabilize before the
HBase 0.92 branch?  In any case, I apologize for making things sound worse than
they are.

joe