You can update existing data through manually triggering compaction. After you
make a change like this, go to the hbase shell and execute:

  major_compaction 'yourtablename'

After major compaction all of the store files for the table will abide the most
recent schema settings.

Best regards,

   - Andy

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. - Piet Hein (via
Tom White)