Hardly voodoo, but also not something that can be done casually.  You need
strong transactional guarantees from the file system layer to do this.

And yes, it does come down to something like groups of group commits.  It
didn't require patching the layer below dfsclient so much as correct and
careful design of the layer below that layer.

I should repeat that this only happens on MapR; we didn't touch the HDFS
code.  I would expect that getting this to work correctly at that layer
could be extremely difficult because you would have a huge proof of
correctness task because the lower layers of HDFS are not well specified in
terms of temporal semantics.