Hi Thomas,

No specific guide for monitoring performance but I strongly recommend
that you read the following sections of the book:

http://hbase.apache.org/book/performance.html
http://hbase.apache.org/book/trouble.html

And regarding general advices, lookout for swap and high iowait,
verify that you don't max out your network (but also make sure it runs
a decent speeds, same for the disks), if you do a lot of random reads
look for the efficiency of the block cache (it has a few metrics),
and... that's all I can think of right now.

Good luck,

J-D