After further investigation it turns out it is my use case.

My keys are actually in the form of:
"idx_query/foo bar/9223372035540718511"
"idx_query/foo/9223372035540718648"

Now that I look at it, it make perfect sense why "foo bar" comes before "foo/"

Sorry for the confusion.

On 8/22/11 9:16 AM, Chris Tarnas wrote:
Good point on the sorting issues with thrift - what client language are you
using? Using perl I have not seen inconstancies in ordering.

Do your strings have any particular terminator that is being included but not
seen in your output? Can you send out the rowkeys from scans in the HBase
shell? That would help narrow it down.

-chris