<mini rant>
ok...
There are two ways to use HBase. One is as part of a map reduce program. The
other is as a NoSQL data store.

If you are writing a m/r job, you really don't want to create any DAO layer or
even think about a JPA layer. Sorry but the access API is too simple to require
any JPA and you're not writing to multiple data sources so you really don't
want to do any abstraction...
Keep It Simple.

If you are writing an app to access HBase outside of a map reduce job, most of
the same arguments apply. HBase access patterns are too simple to require any
abstraction.

</mini rant>
Sorry,
JMHO
YMMV, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Mike Segel