From: saint....@gmail.com [mailto:saint....@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Stack
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:29 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Cc: lars hofhansl
Subject: Re: Help with continuous loading configuration

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Amit Jain <jamit0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Amit Jain <jamit0...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Lars,
>> >
>> > The keys are arriving in random order.  The HBase monitoring page shows
>> > evenly distributed load across all of the region servers.
>>
>> What kind of ops rates are you seeing?  They are running nice and
>> smooth across all servers?   No stuttering?   Whats your regionserver
>> logs look like?
>>
>> Are you presplitting your table or just letting hbase run and do up the
>> splits?
>>

> As far as I can tell, the operations look smooth across all servers.
 We're
> not doing any pre-splitting, just letting HBase do the splits.

So, how many requests per second per server.

How many column families?  What size are the puts on average?

> Well, it looks like half of the regions are in the 25-32 file range and
the
> other half just have 1 or 2 files.  This was when we ran it with a
> compactionThreshold of 15.

So, its this count even after the load comes off?  Maybe compactions
get a chance to cut in and it should shrink them.

> How can I tell by looking at the region server logs if we're seeing a
"high
> write rate" ?

Look at UI for basic ops/second.

> I have read through that section of the HBase book.  There is plenty of
CPU
> available.  How do I up the number of concurrent handlers?  Increase
> hbase.regionserver.handler.count ?

Yes.  You have it pretty low at the moment.

What kinda of performance are you looking for?

Post your configs so we can look at them.  Post a bit of your
regionserver log and your table schema.
St.Ack