Ok... Just my random thoughts...
There definitely is overhead in HBase that doesn't exist when you are doing
direct access against a hive table. 4 to 5 times slower? I'd question how you
tuned your HBase.

Having said that, I would imagine that there are still some potential
improvements that could be done on hive to work better w HBase.
Also why LZO and not Snappy?

Mike Segel