from the little i have used hbase for, it is really good for the below use
case you mentioned. hbase takes care of scale and you can use map reduce to
do the kind of task you mentioned below.
but please remember that it is super important how you design the schema.
the schema should allow for your use case and allow for an efficient map
reduce.
if you decide with hbase, read the hbase book before deployment or schema
design/implementation.
thanks