On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Praveen Sripati
<praveensrip...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks for the response. I am just getting started with HBase. And before
> getting into the code/api level details, I am trying to understand the
> problem area HBase is trying to address through it's architecture/design.
>
> 1) So, what are the recommendations for having many columns and with dense
> data? Is HBase not the right tool?

HBase's data model works great if your set of columns can be split into
separate column families that are only accessed together. If you often
randomly access individual columns, then it might make sense to put your
column qualifiers inside your key.

2) Also, if the data for a column is spread wide across blocks and maybe
> even across nodes how will HBase help in aggregation?

If a column family doesn't contain the columns your aggregation wants, then
HBase doesn't need to look at files for those column families. If you want
to run the aggregation on a subset of your key's range, then HBase doesn't
need to look at nodes that only have data outside that range.

In addition, aggregation can often be done locally at each node using
endpoint coprocessors. For example, if I want to count all the rows in my
table, a coprocessor can count all the rows on each node in parallel, and
then those counts are the only thing sent back to node running the query.
To get the total count, I just need to sum the per-node counts.

http://ofps.oreilly.com/titles/9781449396107/clientapisadv.html

> 3) Also, about storing data using an incremental row key, initially there
> will be a hot stop with the data getting to a single region. Even after a
> split of the region into two, the first one won't be getting any data (in
> incremental row key) and the second one will be hammered.

Can you split your incremental row key into a hash component and a range
component? Here's a DynamoDB post explaining a use case:

http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2012/01/amazon-dynamodb-internet-scale-data-storage-the-nosql-way.html

This does mean that range scan is only efficient when it stays within a
hash prefix, though.

4) Still not clear why I can't have 10 column families in HBase and why
> only 2 or 3 of them according to this link (1)?
>
> (1) - http://hbase.apache.org/book/number.of.cfs.html

See HBASE-3149, for starters. There are probably other JIRAs out there.

-Jason