Thanks for that, I'm now backing up.

The resulting file format isn't very helpful other than if the requirement
is to restore to the same or another machine. My real investigation is not
just to backup it's to back up, modify the tables ie add a column family,
add some more tables etc. and then modify the data in some other tool ie a
spreadsheet modifying a CSV or TSV ( I see you can import a TSV). Is there
some way to export to a more friendly format?