There is nothing wrong in writing the output from a reducer to HBase.

The question you have to ask yourself is why are you using a reducer in the
first place. ;-)

Look, you have a database. Why do you need a reducer?

It's a simple question... Right? ;-)

Look, I apologize for being cryptic. This is one of those philosophical design
questions where you the developer/architect have to figure out the answer for
yourself.  Maybe I should submit this as an HBaseconn topic for a presentation?

Sort of like how to do an efficient table join in HBase....

HTH

Mike Segel