done, thanks for pointing me to that

On 04/05/2012 11:43 AM, Ted Yu wrote:
Juhani:
Thanks for sharing your results.

Do you mind putting the summary on HBASE-5699: Run with>  1 WAL in
HRegionServer ?

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 6:45 PM, Juhani Connolly<
juhani_conno...@cyberagent.co.jp>  wrote:

another quick update on stuff:

since moving back to hdfs 0.20.2 (with hbase still at 0.92), we found that
while we made significant gains in throughput, that most of our
regionservers IPC threads were stuck somewhere in HWal.append(out of 50, 42
were in append, of which 20 were in sync), limiting throughput despite
significant free hardware resources.

Because the WAL writes of a single  RS all go sequentially to one HDFS
file, we assumed that we could improve throughput by separating writes to
more WAL files and more HDs. To do this we ran multiple region servers on
each node.

The scaling  wasn't linear(we were in no way increasing hardware, just the
number of regionservers), but we are now getting significantly more
throughput.
I would personally not say that this is a great approach to have to take,
it would generally be better to build more smaller servers which will thus
not limit themselves by trying to put a lot of data per server through a
single WAL file.

Of course there may be another solution to this that I'm not aware of? If
so I'd love to hear it.