On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:14 AM, David Charle <dbchar2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As per the docs, it looks like painless to upgrade from 0.20.3 to 0.90
> (only need to run upgrade script if upgrading to 0.92).
> http://hbase.apache.org/book/upgrading.html#upgrade0.90
>
> Anyone has experience in upgrading from 0.20 to 0.90 or something similar
> with major upgrade ? Do we need to upgrade hadoop (0.20.1) as well ? or can
> 0.20.1 work with 0.90 hbase ?

Hello David.

I would not call the 0.20 to 0.90 migration 'painless'.
'Well-exercised' and 'awkward but works' would more come to mind.
All of us long-term users have come out on the other side of this
step.

I would suggest you follow the instructions closely to minimize headache.

You should be ok going from 0.20.3 to 0.90.x.

St.Ack