Jiajun,

Expanding on Jean's guideline (and perhaps the following can be used
for the manual as well):

1. Ensure snappy codec works properly, following the test listed on
http://hbase.apache.org/book/snappy.compression.html (On all RSes to
be sure)

2. Disable the table to prepare for alteration.

> disable 't'

2. Change the the CF properties to use Snappy. Use the alter command,
for each of the colfams:

> alter 'table', {NAME=>'f1', COMPRESSION=>'SNAPPY'}, {NAME=>'f2',
> COMPRESSION=>'SNAPPY'} …

3. Re-enable the table.

> enable 't'

(Make sure to test the table. And do not remove away the old codec
immediately. You need to wait until the whole of the table's regions
have major compacted, leaving no old-codec-encoded store file traces.
Correct me if am wrong there!)

--
Harsh J