Stack,

That section was written by Doug after he and I had the same debate man moons
ago.
While I can't say with absolute certainty that you shouldn't use a reducer, I
can say is that every situation where I have seen a M/R where you are writing
to HBase, you end up not wanting to use a reducer. If you want a clear and
concise statement you can say that the rule of thumb is that you don't want to
use a reducer and that cases where you would need to first use a reducer are
the rare exception.

The reason I ask people to think about this topic is that unless you have a
really good foundation in databases, not relying on a reducer is a bit counter
intuitive. (Which is why I said that you really need to clear your mind and
focus on this issue. )

-Mike

PS. If you care to read the thread, I didn't become condescending until a
certain individual piped up about how refactoring the M/R was a 'distraction'
to the issue at hand.
Not to mention his flip response w the Google paper?