1. Endpoint is a kind of Coprocessor, it was added in 0.92. You can though
it a little like Relational-Database’s storedProcedure. It's some logicals
run on HBase server side. With it you may reduce your app's RPC calls, or
as you said,  reduce traffic .
you can get some help on Coprocessor/Endpoint from here:
https://blogs.apache.org/hbase/entry/coprocessor_introduction
2. I still a little confuse what exactly you want with this table struct
(Srry for that but my mother-language is not English).
You mean t1 is the original data of some ojects,
then t2 keep something about the object in t1?(like logs, 10:11 em check
t1obj1; 10:13 em buy t1obj1; 10:30 em tookaway t1obj1)?
3. You said 'This data is then sorted by the time part of the returned
rowkeys to get
the Top N of these.'. Well there may be no necessary to do the sort. HBase
keeps data in dictionary-order. Then you just fetch N of them, they are
already ordered.
4. I use HBase not long , infectly still a nood on it :) .  I would be glad
anything can help you.

Best Regards,
NN