Hi Christian,

I had the similar requirements as yours. So, till now i have used
timestamps for filtering the data and I would say the performance is
satisfactory. Here are the results of timestamp based filtering:
The table has 34 million records(average row size is 1.21 KB), in 136
seconds i get the entire result of query which had 225 rows.
I am running a HBase 0.92, 8 node cluster on Vmware Hypervisor. Each node
had 3.2 GB of memory, and 500 GB HDFS space. Each Hard Drive in my set-up
is hosting 2 Slaves Instance(2 VM's running Datanode,
NodeManager,RegionServer). I have only allocated 1200MB for RS's. I haven't
done any modification in the block size of HDFS or HBase. Considering the
below-par hardware configuration of cluster i feel the performance is OK
and IMO it'll be better than substring comparator of column values since in
substring comparator filter you are essentially doing a FULL TABLE scan.
Whereas, in timerange based scan you can *Skip Store Files*.

On a side note, Alex created a JIRA for enhancing the current
FuzzyRowFilter to do range based filtering also. Here is the link:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-6618 . You are more than
welcome if you would like to chime in.

HTH,
Anil Gupta