My reading of the paper is that they are actually not clear about whether
or not HMasters were deployed on datanodes.

I'm going to guess that they just used default configurations for HBase and
YCSB, but the paper again is not specific enough.

Why were they using 0.90.4 in 2012?  Would have been nice to see some of
the more recent work done in the area of performance.

One thing the paper does touch on is the relative difficulty of standing up
the cluster, which has not changed since 0.90.4.  I think that's definitely
something that could be improved upon.

- Dave