With stand-alone mode I assume you mean installing HBase locally and

> work with that?

Yes. You can as well can launch "a la standalone" any version, including a
development version. The launch scripts check this, and use maven to get
the classpath needed on the dev version.

The problem with installing HBase directly on the developer laptop's
> OS is that this is limits you to the version installed at any one
> time. When writing software that uses the HBase client API it is
> sometimes necessary to switch between versions. For example, one day I
> might be working on a feature for our next release, based on
> Cloudera's CDH4 version of HBase, the next day I might have to switch
> back to CDH3, because that runs on production and a sudden hotfix is
> needed, and at the end of the week I might want to try out some of the
> new features in HBase 0.94.1.

I don''t know if CDH versions are exclusive. This would be a question for
the cdh lists. But for the apache releases at least, nothing prevents you
from having multiple ones installed on the same computer. If you need it,
you should even be able to run multiple versions simultaneously (I've never
done that, but I don't see why it would be an issue, it's just a matter of
ports & directory configuration).

Nicolas