Hello Bai Shen,

    It is not a compulsion to run ZK on the same machine where NN is
running. You can run it anywhere and if this is the case you have to
specify the location of you ZK node through the "hbase-site.xml" file.
Infact, in real world scenarios people create a separate ZK cluster and
avoid running ZK along with NN on the same machine.

A possible reason of your problem could be that your RS is not able to find
the location of your ZK node. Make sure you have done the configuration
properly.

Regards,
    Mohammad Tariq