On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:52 PM, techbuddy <techbuddy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As for programmatic monitoring, I was trying to figure out how to extend the
> already available metrics capture mechanism (available for Region server and
> Master server processes) to dump some *custom *metrics into a file (using
> the TimestampedFileContext) for downstream consumption by our graphing
> solution. These custom metrics could be like # of minor compactions that
> happened since the last poll time , or the rate of minor compactions over a
> time window etc.

These sound like metrics that are of general interest.  Consider
making a patch and we'll integrate it (be careful -- metrics is partly
revamped moved to hadoop metrics2... would be great if you could add
metrics2 format rather than the old stuff).

> In other words,I was wondering if HBase monitoring framework supports some
> kind of plugin development.

No.

There has been a paucity up to this but it is improving w/ 0.94 and beyond.

> Does that make sense or do you think the available set of metrics (for
> RegionServer,Master Server) are good enough.

No.

St.Ack