So are you looking at the total process size (e.g. top) or are you looking at the amount of memory the jvm says it is using (e.g. jmap -heap <pid>)?

If you are looking at the process size (top) jvm doesn't ever give memory back so over time the process will just get bigger and bigger as it will spike in size before garbage collection can kick in an free enough memory. If you are looking at jvm memory used then it will use the memory you said + everything else "in flight". Stuff "in flight" includes any memory for the IPC running, memory for return values, memory for compactions, memory for general bookkeeping, etc. The biggest ones would be return values (and put values) for IPC and memory used for compactions.

~Jeff